Published on November 3rd, 2013 | by Omar0
Omar Uddin – Learn to Write Arabic Calligraphy
Living on the west coast where one doesn’t find a many calligraphers to learn the sacred art from, I’m always on the lookout for books, blog posts, videos on how to work towards learning this art. I’ve found a number of sources by following sister Sehar Shazad on facebook. Sister Sehar is a talented calligrapher based out of Toronto. She has a facebook page where she post numerous helpful items for those wishing to learn, along with pictures of her own pieces.
This past week she posted a link to yet another Toronto calligrapher, brother Omar Uddin who is a certified calligrapher and teacher (he has been given ijazah/permission to teach by his teacher). Brother Omar has posted a number of items on his website to guide aspiring calligraphers.
- A listing of templates/guides for several calligraphy styles that can be used as guidance
- More significantly, he’s written a comprehensive book aimed towards aspiring english speaking calligraphers which can be purchased in PDF format. It covers the following topics:
- Introduction to Arabic Calligraphy
- Learning Calligraphy the Traditional way
- A Word on Practice
- Origins and Early Arabic Scripting
- Development of the Cursive Scripts
- Learning Methodology
- Writing Instruments and Supplies
- Dynamics of the Pen
- Introduction to Scaling and Measurements
- Vowels and Ornamentation
- Mufraddat and Murakkabat Modules for Naskh, Thuluth, Diwani, Riq’a, and Farsi Scripts
- Creating Masterpieces
The book is on sale this month for $8 which is originally priced at $20. Both prices are a steal for such an amazing piece of work. Anyone learning on their own can benefit immensely from this book as it contains exercises to build core competencies that are needed and then moves on to letter formation and then to the connecting of groups of letters. It’s the only book of it’s kind that I’ve been able to find that’s written in english! For those living in the GTA, he offers a 6 week hands on course that makes use of this textbook.